Monday, August 17, 2009

I woke up on Friday

and decided it was time to tackle the the never ending piles of laundry. So I filled up the washer and turned it on. I then left and hung out upstairs for about a half hour, then I went downstairs to let the dog out. While downstairs I hear water running and reminded myself It was the washer. However the water sounded like it was a little too loud and close to be running through pipes. In fact, it sounded like it was right in my ceiling. I ran upstairs and opened the Laundry room door to find it filled with water. I immediately turned off the washer and started soaking up the water with all the clean clothes I had washed the day before, but were still on the ground. Then I went back downstairs to look at the ceiling. I could see all the seams on the drywall, so I called Ben. He came home and then we started to notice more water damage; like, the bubbling paint all the way down the wall, wet carpet in the room below and 4 rooms surrounding the laundry room, and we also went downstairs and discovered a puddle of water. We knew we had a big problem so I called our Home Owners Insurance company and they were awesome. They told us who to call and what to do. Within an hour the disaster people came and started tearing down sheetrock, pulling out insulation, tearing off the "tape" from all the seams on the ceiling, sprayed all over to prevent mold growth, pulled up carpet and tore out padding, then set up about 10 fans all over our house. It is so loud in here you can't even hear yourself think.
After about 4 or 5 hours of work this is what they left us with.


I couldn't fit everything into one frame on the camera, but you get the idea. They said it will take a couple weeks to get us put back together.
The lesson I learned from this?
I hate our builders for not putting in a drain like we wanted and I am never doing laundry again. Buying new clothes is much cheeper than this. :)

2 comments:

Brooke Jackson said...

Oh my heck. That sucks. Im glad you had a good experience with your insurance though!

Tai Christensen said...

Ugh so awful!!!!! Good thing for homeowners insurance ;-)